Thursday, May 29, 2008

5 Guys Burger and Fries (Miami)

Taste: *** (revised from** (revised from ***))
Cost: $

Last chance Review
-----------------
I want to like 5 guys. I really do. They have this whole grassroots campaign similar to in and out and shake shack. I decided to give it one last whirl at the south miami location. Of the 3 tries, this was the best. While cooked well done (over cooked in my opinion) the patty was loose packed and had a tender texture. This location also correctly placed the mushrooms and grilled onions on the bottom. It was ok. Actually, it was good, but nothing spectacular. The fries we nice, but not crisp (come on guys... twice fry already!). I bumped you guys back up to 3 stars. But for a 5 buck burger... you're much better off going to charm city. In fact the patties seemed smaller this time... Don't know if they're downsizing due to their popularity?

Updated Review
-----------------
So I had to try it again. The burger this time was just too dry for my tastes as I've observed a disturbing practice in the kitchen... they press their burgers. The fries are still good, but I'm pretty much done with the well done burgers. They probably use all ground sirloin, while although tastey, will be very dry after cooking to well done, no less pressing the meat. Dissappointing.
-----------------

The newest burger joint to open in Miami, and of course you know I had to try it. Everything here is about simplicity. Only a handful of burgers with unlimited free toppings, fries seasoned 2 ways (cajun or regular), and a hotdog. My first major complaint was the cooking of the burgers. I personally like my burger Medium, with a pink center, but all burgers here are cooked the same way, well done, but its is still juicy to their credit. Their basic burger is a double patty burger. I'd estimate it to be around just over half a pound. So their regular burger is really the little burger. Confusing I know... The burger itself is a very meaty burger. Not much seasoning to overpower the taste of the beef and it was pretty tasty. No options in cheese either, but it also was tasty. I was expecting fresh mushroons but their just canned ones, thats ok I use canned mushrooms on burgers I cook at home too. The fries were great. Hand cut, fried in peanut oil which you can really taste. They're definitely cut ther day, as you can taste the starchiness of potato and the skin is left on which is a nice home cooked feeling. Actually the regular fries is enough for 2. They're crammed into a styrofoam cup and spilling out with another serving in the bag. In fact the fries are probably what would probably keep me coming back here. I'm still a Fuddruckers fan (more burger options, cheese sauce with fries, variable doneness of burgers) but if I didn't want to trek out to North Miami, I wouldn't mind stopping by here.

10471 N Kendall Dr
Miami, FL 33176

No comments: